CERTLINK UPDATE - May 2013
"The new source of power is not money in the hands of a few, but information in the hands of many." ~ John Naisbitt
Welcome to the first CertLink Update for 2013.
This year brings many exciting opportunities for the sustainable agriculture sector in Vanuatu and the CertLink team are enthused about the prospects.
In the News
- Vanuatu coconuts go organic: Vanuatu is converting its largest coconut plantations to organic (Australian Organic / BFA) More coconut coverage below...
- Kava chocolate – A mix of Vanuatu’s best commodities (Daily Post)
- Organic beef price almost double conventional (Australian Organic)
- Fiji’s Rotuma island progressing towards becoming fully organic (Radio NZ)
- New standard reference on the climate mitigation potential of organic agriculture (Roundtable on Organic Ag & Climate Change)
- The CTA’s SPORE magazine Cocoa Dossier reports - “With the market in full swing, governments are taking a renewed interest in cocoa.... In producer countries, public-private partnerships are trying to boost production and win niche markets. The challenge is to make markets work better for farmers while ensuring that production is more environmentally sustainable. ... just 6% of world output is certified as organic, 1% as fairtrade and about 1% Rainforest Alliance...”. Download the full e-zine here (Sept-Oct 2012 issue; 2.5MB).
- ISEAL, whose members include IOAS, SAN/Rainforest Alliance, UTZ and Fairtrade International, have identified ‘a significant increase in participation in certification from cocoa farmers, and have seen mainstream commitments from leading buyers in the last few years’.
- UTZ Certified’s 2012 Annual Report shows some impressive market shares, certifying 8% of worldwide coffee production and 13% of cocoa.
- What's In A Certification? - US National Public Radio examines Fairtrade and Rainforest Alliance certifications in the context of smallholder coffee growers
Vanuatu Coconut Certification media coverage:
- Aus Food News
- Spasifik Mag
- Acres Australia
- Daily Post
- BioFach News
- Sustainability Matters
- eTravel Blackboard
- Go Hospitality
- Radio Australia
- Pacific Islands Trade Invest
Also in this Update:
Please comment on the Blog!
We welcome your feedback, comments and suggestions and encourage you to join our CertLink Public Outreach Community to keep up to date as the system develops. Please feel free contact us here, or forward the email to any interested parties.
Best wishes from the CertLink Team
CERTLINK - Innovating Vanuatu Agriculture through Data & Information Coordination.
Our Vision – “By 2015, Vanuatu to be lead innovator in small scale agricultural management systems…Globally”